joygum-earns-patent-for-cannabis-infused-chewing-gum

Joygum Earns Patent for Cannabis-Infused Chewing Gum

Chewing gum infused with multiple cannabinoids, anyone? After 15 years of trial-and-error, Amy and Dave Nudelman received a patent for Joygum—gum infused with both tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD). 

While innovative, the concept has been attempted before. There is a competitive CBD gum market developing, and other gums are marketed as infused with delta-8-THC. Medical cannabis gum infused with THC is also a thing. “It really wasn’t that genius, and we’re not the only ones to have thought of it,” Amy told Business Den. “However, we are one of very few who have been able to get a product up and running—hence our patent.”

Joygum is sold in 175 dispensaries in Colorado. It’s fast-acting, absorbing through the lining of your mouth, with effects lasting about two hours.

“We were so ecstatic,” Amy said. “It’s honestly a very broad patent. It covers all combinations, including CBD and THC, as long as it’s encapsulated cannabis that’s water-soluble, which is the only way to really get it to come out of the gum other than some chemical compound I’m not aware of.”

Seven flavors are available including bubblegum, watermelon, spearmint and blue raspberry lime. You can also buy a 10-piece packet for $10 with 10mg of THC in each tablet and another with 5mg of THC per piece for $7. A CBD- and THC-infused packet costs $13 with 5 milligrams in all 10 pieces. Joygum also sells a packet with 10mg of CBD and 1mg of THC in each piece.

Dave’s background includes working with chewing gum and nutraceutical-based industries for 25 years. Joygum launched in September 2018, and the couple funded 90 percent of their business and sought the other 10 percent from friends and family.

The Joygum team originally filed for a patent in 2015 but were stalled by legal issues. They resumed their efforts in 2017 and filed again—this time, backed by Denver, Colorado-based Block45 Legal. The overall process cost around $20,000, Amy said.

 

Related Posts